History of the Mountain Art & Craft Celebration
The Friends of Cloudland Canyon State Park, a non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to supporting the park, initiated the Celebration in November, 2013. Over 5,000 people attended the inaugural event during the peak of fall foliage and 70 exhibitors and vendors offered their wares. In 2014, the number of exhibitors and food vendors increased to over 100, and we added a several dozen musicians, Spoken Word performers, and a Civil War group in costume. Local, regional, and national companies provided sponsorships. Despite very cold, windy weather, we had over 6,000 visitors. In 2015, pouring rain both days did not deter 125 exhibitors, 15 food vendors, musicians and almost 5,000 visitors from participating in the event. The decision was made to move the event to springtime, in hopes of more cooperative weather, so there was no Celebration in 2016. We are pleased to present the 2017 event on Mother’s Day weekend in 2017!
About Cloudland Canyon State Park
- Located on Lookout Mountain in northwest Georgia, the Park has over 500,000 visitors annually, generating over $40 million in economic benefit to the region.
- Over 14 million people live within 150 miles of Cloudland Canyon and it’s easily accessible from Interstate Highways I-75, I-59, and I-24.
- Over 60 miles of trails have been rated very highly by hiking and biking organizations.
- There are scenic overlooks into the gulch, rock formations, and two major waterfalls.
- A great Interpretive Center has family-friendly displays and activities.
- A stocked fishing pond offers fun for anglers and a challenging disc golf course offers family fun.
- The park has camping, RV accommodations, cottages, and yurts.
- The Group Shelter holds over 125 people for meetings, weddings, and other events.
- The Group Lodge has a full kitchen and overnight accommodations for up to 40 guests.
- The Gift Shop offers items for all ages and interests.
- The park is surrounded by other historical and scenic areas – Civil War battlefields, Cherokee Indian historical sites, scenic sites in Chattanooga TN, hang gliding atop Lookout Mountain, country craft and boutique shops, and more!
About the Friends of Cloudland Canyon State Park
- Friends of Cloudland Canyon State Park is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization of volunteers dedicated to promoting, preserving, and supporting the Park for our community and for future generations.
- Our volunteers donate over 6,100 hours annually maintaining trails, providing environmental protection, and hosting special events such as the Mountain Art & Craft Celebration, FALL FUN – Hayrides & More!, and Chautauqua.
- All profits generated from events are used for the exclusive benefit of the park.
- We are always looking for new Friends! Whatever your skills or interests, there is a way you can help.
- Everyone is welcome at Friends meetings – join us on the fourth Thursday of every month, January through October, at 5:30 at the Park Group Shelter.
- Please visit our website: cloudlandcanyon.org for more information and upcoming events!